SuSE Linux 7.1 + Shutdown

Kurt Granroth kurt@granroth.org
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 14:30:02 -0700

Clayton Stapleton wrote:
> After "Select boot kernel" is selected there is no selection list
> provided and the boot kernel is installed. Which automatically
> includes the new "Power off on shutdown" as stated in the
> "APM - Advanced Power Management" article in the knowledge base.

AFAIK, SuSE doesn't ship with any kernels that don't have APM support.
I honestly don't know why you wouldn't want it unless you were going
for a VERY custom built kernel optimized for size.

> The following is an exert from the file "/usr/src/linux/.config"
>
>   # Automatically generated make config: don't edit
>
>   CONFIG_APM=y
>   # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
>   CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
>   CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
>   CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
>   # CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
>   CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y
>
> I would like to comment out all the "APM" lines so that they are
> not active. But since the first line of this file states that it
> is "Automatically generated make config: don't edit" what do I
> have to do and how will it be accomplished? Not being a programmer
> I am in the dark.

This file is used in configuring and recompiling the Linux kernel.  If
you want to make changes to it, do so by using the 'make xconfig'
command.

But are you sure you want to do that?  I don't mean to discourage you
from compiling the kernel since it *is* somewhat of a rite of passage
for Linux users... but it also is quite a drastic step for what seems
to be a simple (actually "non-existent", by your description) problem.

If you are still up for it, make sure you read the Kernel HOWTO first.
You can find it on your SuSE 7.1 system here (assuming you installed
the 'howto' package):

/usr/share/doc/howto/en/Kernel-HOWTO.gz

            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop