SuSE Linux 7.1 + Shutdown

Clayton Stapleton vernon@impulsedata.net
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 09:31:18 -0700

The following article from the SuSE Linux 7.1 knowledgebase
describes how to include "Automatic power off after shutdown"
which I want to disable. On shutdown it turns off the computer
but nothing else which is to be expected but at that time it
causes the monitor to make a very odd noise which I expect
cannot do it any good. I turn off my system three or four
times a day (computer, monitor, modem, printer and zip drive
with a common power switch).

  Automatic power off after shutdown

  Support knowledgebase (ausschalten)Applies to

  SuSE Linux: Versions since 6.3

  Request: Your computer supports Advanced Power Management (APM).
  You would like SuSE Linux to automatically power off after
  shutdown. Procedure: Since SuSE Linux 6.3 a kernel binary which
  supports APM is provided.

  You can install this kernel even after you installed SuSE Linux.
  To do so, start Yast, and then go to the following menu:

  System administration -> Kernel and boot configuration -> Select boot
  kernel

  Select in the then appearing list "Kernel with APM-support".
  Answer the question The file /usr/src/linux/.config already exists!
  Do you want to overwrite it? with "Yes". the selected kernel will
  now be installed. In order to be able to boot with it, also say
  "Yes" in the next dialogue (LILO).

  After the next reboot the new (APM supporting) kernel is active,
  and your system will power off when you shutdown the system from
  now on.

After "Select boot kernel" is selected there is no selection list
provided and the boot kernel is installed. Which automatically
includes the new "Power off on shutdown" as stated in the
"APM - Advanced Power Management" article in the knowledge base.

The following is an exert from the file "/usr/src/linux/.config"

  # Automatically generated make config: don't edit

  CONFIG_APM=y
  # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
  CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
  CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
  CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
  # CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
  CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y

I would like to comment out all the "APM" lines so that they are
not active. But since the first line of this file states that it
is "Automatically generated make config: don't edit" what do I
have to do and how will it be accomplished? Not being a programmer
I am in the dark.
I have sent an e-mail to SuSE about this but since the basic
installation is working they cannot give me any help.

TIA
Clay Stapleton
Scottsdale, Arizona