Advice

George Toft george@georgetoft.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 23:08:22 -0700

I work with programmers from India.  They are coding for Unix, and
don't know the difference between a cron job and a daemon (no kidding).
Nor do they understand the importance of the java classpath as they
will cheerfully modify a jar file to their liking and put in where it
will prevent other programs from running.

With that in mind, "programming is an eminently TRAINABLE skill" is not
true.  It is like automotive mechanics.  One must have the inclination.
These are the adepts.

I do agree with you on one point: our economy's system for creating
coders is completely wrong.  The colleges are teaching not to optimize
code.  Guess who Microsoft targets for their recruiting campaigns?
College graduates, who don't know how to optimize.  Linux rocks because
Unix programmers know how to optimize code.

George