Scanner works in root but not as user

Robert N. Eaton moth28@infinet-is.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:00:46 -0700

Hi all,

Much of my frustration has been relieved.  My new
scanner/Adaptec-card/SANE/X Scanimage work beautifully.  In root.  Which
files do I chmod or chown to permit myself as user to access my
scanner?

This is just the sort of problem that bites a Win95 refugee in the ass.
All my other graphics applications work as advertised.  That is to say
if I point and click K-> Graphics-> Cameleo, DVI Viewer, Fax Viewer,
Fractals Generator, Gimp, Icon Editor, Image Viewer, KIllustrator,
Paint, PS Viewer, SnapShot, TGif, Xfig, or xv, these applications boot
up and I can use them.

Not X Scanimage. It works only if I log in as root and pointy/clicky.
It does not work if I su to root and use the command xscanimage in a
terminal.

I think I am close to an answer, but like Tantalus, the grapes are
always just out of reach, and the water just below my lips.
Unsatisfying.

Bob Eaton