crc error on bootup

Rick Rosinski rick@rickrosinski.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:52:01 +0000

Got a strange anomoly happening.
I woke up this morning, saw my computer, and saw that the mouse didn't work.
Everything was frozen.  Tried rebooting, and upon loading the kernel, got a
crc error, and the system halted.  Tried booting from a linux boot disk.
That yielded the same crc error.  Tried booting from a Windows floppy, and it
said "invalid command prompt".  I turned off the system, waited a few hours,
and then tried again.  The system booted fine without the floppy, and all is
working again.  Could this be a RAM problem, or an overheating CPU problem?
Or what?  I have an AMD k63, 128MB + 256MB DIMM PC 100 ram memory chips, and
I replaced the dying CPU fan a month ago.  Everything was working fine until
last night / this morning.

--
Rick Rosinski
http://rickrosinski.com