Advice

Gorman, John John.Gorman@pegs.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:35:32 -0700

At most of the companies where I have worked for the last 7 years
I have somehow always ended up one of the people that does the
interviewing of potential candidates.

Here is a example that causes me to disagree with you comments.

When I worked one of the big 3 long distance companies on a near
real-time system that we were developing to process about 250 million
transactions (calls) a day, we received a resume from a guy who looked
quite good.

He had a Ph.D. in C/S and was teaching C++ at a local college. When
we started talking to him and began asking pre-interview questions
we discovered that even with his education and teaching C++ he had
no work experience and we all decided to pass on him.

Real experience wins every time over theoretical analysis.
Regardless of the class, schools only teach you the basics.

In school you always create your programs from scratch according
to the school assignment. You never get the experience of working
on a program that is 10 years old, or understand the disciple it
takes to write a program that may take a 6 months to write and you
have to coordinate with a team of others. You never get exposed to
office politics, which right or wrong is a reality that we all have
to work in.

John