Advice

Gary Nichols gnichols@qwest.net
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 14:42:15 -0700

I am all too familiar with that paradox.  hehe

Did you see this point in my disertation?

<QUOTE>
9) Look for some entry level networking jobs.  You'll need to dig through
careerbuilder.com, but they are there.  If you can't find a jr SA job, go to
work for the company doing something else... tech support, qa, web stuff...
get your foot in the door and then show them "btw, I know how to do all this
cool stuff!".  Become best buds with the IT staff there.  Take them to
lunch... buy them beers... pay their mortgage. (Well, ok... noone ever did
that for me... but the first two are a good start).
</QUOTE>

I left the hospitality industry eons ago by getting a job as a tech support
monkey at a software shop, and worked my way into engineering jobs from
there.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of wisdomn
04
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2001 1:45 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Advice

 I may not be a "Black Belt" in TCP/IP, SMTP, and subnetting though I do
have
a really strong understanding of them. OSI model probably 1st degree black
belt. I can make cables, might have to check my notes depending on wether it
was a 568A or 568B that was required. Now, Unix filesystems I am just
beginning with but, the fact of the matter is that cert. degree or whatever
seems employers want two-threee years exp.
 How does one get this? I have two years doing all kinds of things for
friends, family and the "my brother knows this stuff" kind of jobs but
nothing proffessional and I can't get in the door. The unending paradox,
No job no experience, No experience no job!!

> At 01:17 PM 3/21/01 -0700, you wrote:
> >Greetings Tyler,
> >
> >Allow me to insert my 2 bytes here.
> >
> >As a hiring IT/IS Director/Manager for 4 years at several companies, I
can
> >tell you that the one thing that counts above all others is experience,
> >experience, experience and experience.  I have seen hundreds of resumes
> > for SysAdmins.  I don't care if you have a Masters in Electro-Warp Core
> > Technology or an Associates in Basketweaving.  If you don't understand
> > TCP/IP, subneting, SMTP, Unix file systems, computer hardware, etc...
you
> > would be of no use to me.
>
> --<clip all the rest of the good stuff>--
>
> |Alan Dayley             www.adtron.com
> |Software Engineer       602-735-0300 x331
> |ADayley@adtron.com
> |
> |Adtron Corporation
> |3710 E. University Drive, Suite 5
> |Phoenix, AZ  85034