Advice

Alan Dayley adayley@adtron.com
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 13:32:48 -0700

This is very refreshing!  A hiring manager that doesn't automatically throw
you out because you don't have the paper!  Excellent!

One question:  When interviewing canidates, degreed/certified or not, how
do you determine if they "don't understand TCP/IP, subneting, SMTP, Unix
filesystems, computer hardware, etc..." or not?  Just curious.

Alan

At 01:17 PM 3/21/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Greetings Tyler,
>
>Allow me to insert my 2 bytes here.
>
>As a hiring IT/IS Director/Manager for 4 years at several companies, I can
>tell you that the one thing that counts above all others is experience,
>experience, experience and experience.  I have seen hundreds of resumes for
>SysAdmins.  I don't care if you have a Masters in Electro-Warp Core
>Technology or an Associates in Basketweaving.  If you don't understand
>TCP/IP, subneting, SMTP, Unix filesystems, computer hardware, etc... you
>would be of no use to me.
--<clip all the rest of the good stuff>--