Advice

Bob George plug@bobspc.dhs.org
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 11:39:46 -0700

"Deepak Saxena" <deepak@csociety.purdue.edu> wrote:

> My opinions (which i will probably get flamed for)
> [...]
> 3) Save money and get a degree in CS, but while getting a degree in CS
>    make sure you take some classes in low level stuff like architecture.
>    Or if a full college degree is not what you're interesested in, just
>    take the relevant classes or pick up a book.  The key is don't
>    just learn how to setup a network and a web server, etc, learn how
>    this stuff works.
>
>    Why step 3 you make ask? b/c IMHO having a good understanding of
>    how computers work from top to bottom instead of just how to
>    use the tools to do the job will let you do your job much better.
>    It will also make you much more flexible down the road and I
>    think it makes it easier to pick up new technologuies.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's amazing all the things that I thought I fully
understood over the years, only to realize later that I missed something.
I'd also emphasize that in this business, you're never 'done' studying. I'd
fall into the "taking the relevant courses or pick up a book" category, and
it's served me well. Although I do miss reading a book while riding the
subway (how I originally learned), the web is a fantastic resource, and a
great way to learn about the high end stuff you can't personally afford.
Cisco's web site is a GREAT starting point for all levels of information.

The only other thing I'd add is that nobody knows what the game will be like
in even a few years. I can well remember the days of Novell's glory when the
course instructors would dance into class raving about how high their stock
had climbed. Certifications are great, but should be backed with a broad
understanding of how things work, as Deepak said.

- Bob
 (Studying for another Cert test this week)

>    People may disagree with this, but I have seen enough IT people
>    (both Windows and Un*x) who have NO CLUE about how computers actually
>    works that I would highly reccomend as much as you can about
>    computers, not just high level networking stuff.
>
> ~Deepak
>
> On Mar 21 2001, at 10:02, Tyler Hall was caught saying:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I need your guy's advice,  I'm hoping to get into the field of
networking in the near future.  Such as, managing a school or a company's
network.   I'm going to school right now at Chandler-Gilbert Community
College, to get this stupid degree in "Microsoft Networking"  I think it's a
waste of my time and money.   I'm looking for someone that is in that field,
and would be willing to tell me, what steps I should take.  I currently just
graduated from high school, so i'm still young.   Any advice would be
helpful.

> > Please reply privately, so we don't disturb the public list :)
> >
> > Tyler Hall
> >
> > "Goddam it, you'll never get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!
Follow me!"