Advice

Deepak Saxena deepak@csociety.purdue.edu
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 11:07:14 -0700

My opinions (which i will probably get flamed for)

1) Get some cheap hardware and start learning how to do things on your
   own as was mentioned before
2) With those skills get an entry level job somewhere
3) Save money and get a degree in CS, but while getting a degree in CS
   make sure you take some classes in low level stuff like architecture.
   Or if a full college degree is not what you're interesested in, just
   take the relevant classes or pick up a book.  The key is don't
   just learn how to setup a network and a web server, etc, learn how
   this stuff works.

   Why step 3 you make ask? b/c IMHO having a good understanding of
   how computers work from top to bottom instead of just how to
   use the tools to do the job will let you do your job much better.
   It will also make you much more flexible down the road and I
   think it makes it easier to pick up new technologuies.
   People may disagree with this, but I have seen enough IT people
   (both Windows and Un*x) who have NO CLUE about how computers actually
   works that I would highly reccomend as much as you can about
   computers, not just high level networking stuff.

~Deepak

On Mar 21 2001, at 10:02, Tyler Hall was caught saying:

--
Deepak Saxena - deepak@csociety.purdue.edu - phone://602.790.0500

Code Monkey, MontaVista Software, Inc. - THE Embedded Linux Experts

call me 'evil' call me 'tide is on your side' anything that you want
anybody knows you can conjure anything by the dark of the moon
  - Tori Amos, "Suede"