Please HELP install question

Carl Parrish cparrish@home.com
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 19:41:28 -0700

Okay so I tried to help a buddy out. He had A dual boot system Win 2000
and Storm he wanted to get rid of Storm and change to Red Hat 6.2 (for
work).
So I make a recovery disk of his Win2000 but I don't make a backup cause
- well cause I'm stupid. But the point is I wasn't really doing anything
with Windows so I just left it. Anyway I'm doing the install I blow away
all linux partitions and install Red Hat,  I set up lilo on his boot
partition. All seemed to go well until I rebooted where the Storm
version of lilo asks me which OS to boot into. I find that odd but tell
it to boot into Linux. It tries to run but doing the set up I get a
kernel error where is says it can't find INIT. Okay this is a problem
I'm thinking but proably just somthing because the old version of lilo
appears to be running so I boot up again and try to run Win2K. I get an
error saying it can't find the Win2K os kernal (ntoskrnl.exe) Actuall
error reads as follows :

Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt:
<windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Okay so I put in the recovery disk. I take a look in the win nt dir and
sure enough the ntoskrnl is still there. So I don't really belive it to
be a kernal problem. I find though looking though the help files
programs called fixboot and fixMBR. Thinking that certainly the boot
partion tables or the Master Boot Record could be messed up. I first run
fixboot (reboot) then fixMBR. no change. Hey has valuable not backed up
infomation on his Windows partition does anyone know of a why I can save
this without reinstalling all of Win2K?

Carl Parrish