Need ISP!!!

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 00:10:21 -0700 (MST)

Am 14. Mar, 2001 schwäzte David A. Sinck so:

> I particularly enjoy how a 10.x addr appears as a hop in a traceroute
> to at least one @home box (haven't tested others).
>
> That's lovely.  I'm suspicious that the cable modem is controllable
> upstream by hitting that IP.  Hmmm.  I wonder if it a) appears when
> the box is off (or disconnected) and b) when the modem is off.
> Someone with a dialup want to ping their cable modem IP in those
> states?

The original setup for Cox, where they owned all the cable-modems, the
internal network, e.g. the equip, was all 10 net. cable-modems were also
10 net and could be reset, etc. remotely.

For networking, using private net stuff works as long as they control
entry and exit pipes around it. It's the same as all the NATs we have
setup, except it's open on both sides :).

Their network equipment, though, isn't a valid destination from the
outside world, so that might be better for security. The reason, though,
is because in the beginning they didn't have enough IPs.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important