Need ISP!!!

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 23:59:20 -0700 (MST)

Am 13. Mar, 2001 schwäzte David A. Sinck so:

> Well, see, thereby hangs a tail....providers *should* squash the non
> routeable addresses before sending them on.  If you get this traffic
> on your inbound ethX card, you know someone is up to no good and your
> ISP is likely to suffer evil RSN.  It's been a bit since I've seen a
> report of this, but they are there.

I would think that non-routable stuff isn't routable :). I would also
think that broadcast stuff would get squashed at every organizational
border.

That's what http://www.sans.org/dosstep/index.htm suggests. That's also
what the router people I know suggest.

OTOH, I brought broadcast packets up on SAGE [1] recently and it was
mentioned that customers go after their providers if blocking is done. It
was mentioned that there are many threads about this on the NANOG [2]
mailing list, including a recent piece about a provider being sued because
they weren't allowing broadcast m$ traffic. Appears the suers had offices
in different geographical locations and were using NETBIOS over IP
broadcast to connect via "network neighborhood". Personally, I say toss
'em off the network for gross stupidity.

I haven't confirmed these threads actually exist as I haven't taken time
to search the NONOG archives.

ciao,

der.hans

[1] Sytem Administrator's Guild from USENIX, the *NIX association.

[2] North American Network Operators Group, e.g. network dudes.
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  Stell dir vor, es ist Krieg und keiner geht hin...