Need ISP!!!

David A. Sinck sinck@ugive.com
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:55:18 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Craig White on 3/14/2001 07:32 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ Y'all are talking 'bout providers with IP addresses go like 24.x.x.x and
\_ when you put create firewall scripts for linux, you have to be judicious
\_ about the type of activity you log because there is so dang much of it. I
\_ remember when I first put an slightly altered firewall/masq script of
\_ TrinityOS on an @home link...the lan internet access slowed to a crawl by
\_ Thursay and by Friday was virtually unusuable - /var/log/messages grew to
\_ over 600 megabytes. Sprint Broadband seems to squash most of the
\_ non-routables but they aren't perfect either.

I particularly enjoy how a 10.x addr appears as a hop in a traceroute
to at least one @home box (haven't tested others).

That's lovely.  I'm suspicious that the cable modem is controllable
upstream by hitting that IP.  Hmmm.  I wonder if it a) appears when
the box is off (or disconnected) and b) when the modem is off.
Someone with a dialup want to ping their cable modem IP in those
states?

David