Need ISP!!!

Kimi A. Adams kimi@unitywave.com
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 20:36:44 -0700

--=====================_53511942==_.ALT

Okay, everyone.  I will explain.  Some ISP's don't run their own
network.  That's what I meant by the previous message that seemed to get me
into a whirlwind of who is on first, or third for that matter.  They are
using other services that charge them to use it and in turn they must
charge their customers.

Each ISP that starts out may host "virtually" with a trunk line that has a
Class C of numbers.  There are 255 numbers in each but several sections of
these numbers are specified as system, server or co-located equipment,
hardware and such.  On the other hand, an ISP can decide to do it
themselves which allows for better control and cost.

Since with my trunk provider I can add Class C's at any time, my limit for
each Class C is 255 numbers but can grow.  Most customers don't even know
why they would want the same IP address each time they dial in.  VPN's use
them exclusively because of the nature of their business.  ISP's use
several ways to get an IP address.  Since most of my dial in IP addresses
are assigned by my POP provider, it allows me to do as I need for those
dialing in with one of my static IP's.  Having a random dynamic IP address
allows for certain scripts to be run to drop users or free up IP addresses
for the services being run at any given time on a server.  Because POP
providers use a variety of sources for IP addresses, each one may have 100
Class C's running through their modem bank and only charge for those that
specify a static from the radius server being called upon.

Most POP or trunk providers charge a sizable fee for static IP's but I am
not charged that much.  Just a note, a static IP can be given to a
connected computer (at the hub) or at time of dial in.  If I assign you a
static IP for an ftp server, it's always that IP address until you change
it or I cancel it on my side.  No one else is able to use it for any
reason.  I believe that this may limit me to 200 users with static IP's,
but think of it this way, I can always get more and the percentage of
people who want these things are about 5% of any customer base.  I have
only assigned six static IP's in any given year.  Someone would have to
know how and what to use it for.

My neighbor or sister hasn't a clue what this even means.  For those of you
who want a static IP address it's normally given out with services
rendered.  Some companies choose to nickle and dime customers for extra
features that cost me little to provide.  I would rather have lot's of dial
in accounts with a few static IP's, lot's of co-locations, lot's of
websites and such, rather than charging for each email, each dial in, each
service needed.

So, there you have it.

Kimi

At 3/13/01 02:36 PM, you wrote:

>\_ SMTP quoth plug@arcticmail.com on 3/13/2001 13:36 as having spake thusly:
>\_
>\_
>\_ The 10/8, 172.16/12 and 192.168/16 are RFC1918
>\_ "private" (non-routeable) IP addresses.  This
>
>Well, see, thereby hangs a tail....providers *should* squash the non
>routeable addresses before sending them on.  If you get this traffic
>on your inbound ethX card, you know someone is up to no good and your
>ISP is likely to suffer evil RSN.  It's been a bit since I've seen a
>report of this, but they are there.
>
>David

--=====================_53511942==_.ALT

Okay, everyone.&nbsp; I will explain.&nbsp; Some ISP's don't run their
own network.&nbsp; That's what I meant by the previous message that
seemed to get me into a whirlwind of who is on first, or third for that
matter.&nbsp; They are using other services that charge them to use it
and in turn they must charge their customers.<br>
Each ISP that starts out may host &quot;virtually&quot; with a trunk line
that has a Class C of numbers.&nbsp; There are 255 numbers in each but
several sections of these numbers are specified as system, server or
co-located equipment, hardware and such.&nbsp; On the other hand, an ISP
can decide to do it themselves which allows for better control and
cost.<br>
Since with my trunk provider I can add Class C's at any time, my limit
for each Class C is 255 numbers but can grow.&nbsp; Most customers don't
even know why they would want the same IP address each time they dial
in.&nbsp; VPN's use them exclusively because of the nature of their
business.&nbsp; ISP's use several ways to <i>get</i> an IP address.&nbsp;
Since most of my dial in IP addresses are assigned by my POP provider, it
allows me to do as I need for those dialing in with one of my static
IP's.&nbsp; Having a random dynamic IP address allows for certain scripts
to be run to drop users or free up IP addresses for the services being
run at any given time on a server.&nbsp; Because POP providers use a
variety of sources for IP addresses, each one may have 100 Class C's
running through their modem bank and only charge for those that specify a
static from the radius server being called upon.<br>
Most POP or trunk providers charge a sizable fee for static IP's but I am
not charged that much.&nbsp; Just a note, a static IP can be given to a
connected computer (at the hub) or at time of dial in.&nbsp; If I assign
you a static IP for an ftp server, it's always that IP address until you
change it or I cancel it on my side.&nbsp; No one else is able to use it
for any reason.&nbsp; I believe that this may limit me to 200 users with
static IP's, but think of it this way, I can always get more and the
percentage of people who want these things are about 5% of any customer
base.&nbsp; I have only assigned six static IP's in any given year.&nbsp;
Someone would have to know how and what to use it for.<br>
My neighbor or sister hasn't a clue what this even means.&nbsp; For those
of you who want a static IP address it's normally given out with services
rendered.&nbsp; Some companies choose to nickle and dime customers for
extra features that cost me little to provide.&nbsp; I would rather have
lot's of dial in accounts with a few static IP's, lot's of co-locations,
lot's of websites and such, rather than charging for each email, each
dial in, each service needed.<br>
So, there you have it.&nbsp; <br>
Kimi<br>
At 3/13/01 02:36 PM, you wrote:<br>
13:36 as having spake thusly:<br>
\_<br>
\_ <br>
\_ The 10/8, 172.16/12 and 192.168/16 are RFC1918<br>
\_ &quot;private&quot; (non-routeable) IP addresses.&nbsp; This<br>
Well, see, thereby hangs a tail....providers *should* squash the
non<br>
routeable addresses before sending them on.&nbsp; If you get this
traffic<br>
on your inbound ethX card, you know someone is up to no good and
your<br>
ISP is likely to suffer evil RSN.&nbsp; It's been a bit since I've seen
a<br>
report of this, but they are there.<br>
David<br>