job control

Joel Dudley Joel.Dudley@DevelopOnline.com
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:57:26 -0700

Hello all,
  I have a seemingly simple question, but I fear it entails some underlying
complexity. I need a program (using perl and curses) to run under at and
take absolute priority on a users terminal at a specified time (the user
will be logged in with ssh and may be logged into another computer via
minicom or kermit). Now I know job control (nice, renice, bg, fg, etc) but
this app must take absolute priority over what they are doing and be
interactive on their terminal. Am I safe messing around with priorities and/
or suspending the user's jobs during the duration of my program or is there
a better approach to this? Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Joel Dudley
Unix System Administrator
DevelopOnline.com
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the
story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is
about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock,
he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for
centuries."
- Dr. Robert Jastrow, Founder Goddard Space Flight Institute