PIM/Paper tiger replacement

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 16:20:47 -0700 (MST)

Am 09. Mar, 2001 schwäzte Rusty Carruth so:

> 'Requirements' (and wants) are:
>
> 1 - runs on linux
> 2 - allows searching on any text entered (in the description,
> 	title, etc fields)
> 3 - would be nice if it (the data) would be accessible using
> 	secure http, but its not required that I be able to
> 	MODIFY it that way (but it would be very nice)
> 4 - does not need me to spend hours writing code (i.e. saying
> 	"just write your own interface to mySQL" won't cut it ;-)
> 5 - allows specification of at least the following info:
> 	location
> 	ISBN number, if appropriate (can you tell I'm thinking of
> 		books also ;-)
> 	Title
> 	Description
> 	author?
> 	(I probably want most fields to be optional also)
> 6 - probably want password access to the info...
> 7 - can limit search by location.  (May want location broken into
> 	a heirarchy, like 'at home/in office/drawer 3', with
> 	'wildcarding' allowed for any portion of the heirarchy)
> 8 - does not impose arbitrary fixed limits on things,
> 	like number of items at a location.

Have you looked into PDA apps that might work? I presume you could use one
via the palm emulator or some such. Some are just frontends to a real
program on the backend. Also search the KDE and Gnome projects. KDE had
something like this that I was gonna use for address management. Stored
stuff in xml. Don't know if it could also be hooked up to a db.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
# "... the social skills of a cow on acid." - der.hans