proc-idled

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 14:18:37 -0700 (MST)

Am 09. Mar, 2001 schwäzte Kurt Granroth so:

> AFAIK it is a kernel space daemon sitting around giving the CPU
> IDLE commands when nothing is happening.  The IDLE command basically
> tells the CPU to take it easy and as a result, it uses much less
> power.
>
> The 99% CPU in 'top', then, isn't quite accurate.. but I don't know if
> they are working on a workaround for it.

If I remember correctly top on AIX didn't count the idle daemon when
computing cpu usage. I think some versions didn't even show the idle
daemon. I think you also got on instance per cpu.

Most cool that we have an daemon as that can really cut down on power
usage.

Thanks for the confirmation.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  When I work, I work hard. When I play, I play hard.