255.255.255.255 and multicast

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 11:28:33 -0700 (MST)

moin, moin,

logging some traffic at work and I'm noticing traffic coming in from the
net for various ports for 255.255.255.255. I'm thinking this is not
good. Shouldn't these be cut down by every service provider along the
way? Is there a reason I need to let these hit my network?

Also what's the nameserver on port 42? I've got a mickeysquash box trying
to contact that. DNS aka nameserver uses 53, and I've never heard of it
using 42. Those packets are destined for multicast addy 224.0.1.24, which
seems to be some multicast mickeyschrott thing. It's listed as
microsoft-ds. Is that their death star? Should I be worried about this box
contacting the mothership?

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  Practice socially consious hedonism. Do whatever you want,