linux in the workplace

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 22:14:52 -0700 (MST)

Am 07. Mar, 2001 schwäzte keith@christianexchange.org so:

> I once had an attitude, I hope it never returns!  I ruined numerous
> relationships and I lost out on many opportunities.

Agreed, but Dave wasn't necessarily exhibiting an attitude ( you didn't
say he did either, others did :).

> I find those who go with the flow get much further.  I worked at a

If I just went with the flow I'd've certainly never gotten into *NIX, much
less stayed with it :).

> It is my experience that getting along and bending a little will get
> you along way.  Take it from me. I learned the hard way.

Everything is a compromise.

> I did a test a number of years ago.  I had grown my hear very long and
> dressed very casual.  One weekend I got a haircut and bought some
> conservative clothing.  Monday I arrived at work with a tie and a
> conservative haircut.  I was actually treated differently.  People
> treated me with more respect.  Interesting hu?  I had another
> programmer tell me he had had the same experience several years prior.

It will take a long time to correct these incorrect societal prejudices.
In the meantime I'm gonna keep working to fix it :). BTW, those who have a
problem with the way I look and dress are the ones with the attitude. For
the most part I'm indifferent to the whole fashion thing.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
# I chose to use the kernel sources as my documentation.  ;-) -- Kevin Buettner