linux in the workplace

keith@christianexchange.org keith@christianexchange.org
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 14:08:34 -0700

I once had an attitude, I hope it never returns!  I ruined numerous
relationships and I lost out on many opportunities.

I find those who go with the flow get much further.  I worked at a company a
number of years ago where my boss had some problems, to say the least.  He
had mood swings and was a terror.  I was a senior application developer with
many years of experience.  I often had heated arguments with my boss.  In
the cube next to me was a new hire.  He was new to programming.  I often had
to help him.  He was a nice guy and got along with everyone.  He set his
boundaries in a nice way.  Next thing I knew he is my lead.

It is my experience that getting along and bending a little will get you
along way.  Take it from me. I learned the hard way.

Life is much easier now.

You say you made a complaint with the Veterans Administration.  This makes
me think of the time in 1975 or 1976 while in the Marine Corps. Long before
wearing an earring became popular with men. I was standing in formation when
I heard the sergeant yell at a private that if he did not remove his earring
he was going to rip it out.  The earring made its exit from the scene never
to be scene again. I often wondered why female marines where allowed to wear
earrings and have longer hair.  I knew for sure I was not about to rock the
boat over this issue because all it would have done is cause me grief.

As I grow older I find there are things that are not worth fighting about.
I would like to wear my earring again, never cut my hear, wear shorts, and
never wear a tie.

I did a test a number of years ago.  I had grown my hear very long and
dressed very casual.  One weekend I got a haircut and bought some
conservative clothing.  Monday I arrived at work with a tie and a
conservative haircut.  I was actually treated differently.  People treated
me with more respect.  Interesting hu?  I had another programmer tell me he
had had the same experience several years prior.

So what is important?  To me Jesus, my wife, family, house, cars, low
stress, decent pay with reasonable expectation.

As I think back, I cannot think of very many things I fought about that
really made a difference.

Just my 2 cents.

Respectfully,
Keith Smith