linux in the workplace

Vaughn Treude vaughn@nakota-software.com
Wed, 07 Mar 2001 18:11:15 -0700

--------------AF72CBF243607B403B6934C5

Hello:
I was surprised by the controversy stirred up by Rooster's comments about dress, especially considering the caveat ("unless I'm getting
the big bucks".)   An attitude can be a good thing, in moderation-- if you're a consultant or an independent contractor, it has to say,
"I'm worth the money you're paying me."  Personal appearance is probably minor in the grander scheme of things, but everybody's got
different priorities.  I strongly dislike neckties and won't wear one unless someone makes it mandatory (or I'm doing some serious
brown-nosing) -- but most places in AZ, that's not an issue.   When I went independent, I lost my attitude about everything I view as
legitimately work-related-- I am now willing to put in long hours and go the extra mile for my clients, and I don't argue about
methodology, etc.  I'll give my opinion if I think they're headed for disaster, but regardless of that, the customer is always right.
I also became a little bit more conservative in my style of dress.

But I've maintained the attitude in other areas.  For me, the hot-button issue is privacy.  One of the reasons I got into independent
contracting is the obscenely laughable idea that companies should be able to test their employees for drugs.  So I voted with my feet,
so to speak.  As an independent developer with my own health insurance, this is normally a non-issue.  You can make whatever
conclusions you want about my lifestyle-- as the late great Peter McWilliams put it, it's nobody's business, anyway,  as long as my
performance meets or exceeds expectations.   I wouldn't bend on this one even if, for example, they're only testing for heroin (which
I most assuredly have never done) because, to me, it's a necessary prerequisite of self-ownership that my privacy stays untrammeled.
BTW, as an independent contractor with my own corporation, I don't have to give my clients my SSN, either-- which is another plus for a
privacy nut like me.

Understand that I'm not trying to chastise anybody else for making compromises in their lives (even though that sometimes makes things
more difficult for assholes like myself.)  I just want to say that I view it as a sign of integrity when people have principles that
they're stubborn about.

Vaughn Treude

Rooster wrote:

> Recently got laid off from MCI and supposed to be paid for the next 2 months
> so not to worried about finding a new job yet. So that gave me an idea. I
> was wanting to know how many of you are using unix in the workplace and
> might need someone to help out. Just kind of an apprentice type thing.
> Something that might give me a little hands on training. Being that I'm
> offering myself this way, it would be a part time gig, close to home (Tempe)
> and casual dress of course. Unless I'm getting big bucks, there is no way
> I'm wearing a tie(mom would have a heart attack if I did). Oh, and the ear
> ring stays. So if any of you have a need for someone to help out and learn
> more about unix/linux in the workplace while at it, let me know.
>
> Rooster
>
> email me off list
> dbarker6@qwest.net

*****************
Nakota Software, Inc.
Custom Industrial Software Development

--------------AF72CBF243607B403B6934C5

Hello:
about dress, especially considering the caveat ("unless I'm getting the
big bucks".)&nbsp;&nbsp; An attitude can be a good thing, in moderation--
if you're a consultant or an independent contractor, it has to say, "I'm
worth the money you're paying me."&nbsp; Personal appearance is probably
minor in the grander scheme of things, but everybody's got different priorities.&nbsp;
I strongly dislike neckties and won't wear one unless someone makes it
mandatory (or I'm doing some serious brown-nosing) -- but most places in
AZ, that's not an issue.&nbsp;&nbsp; When I went independent, I lost my
attitude about everything I view as legitimately work-related-- I am now
willing to put in long hours and go the extra mile for my clients, and
I don't argue about methodology, etc.&nbsp; I'll give my opinion if I&nbsp;think
they're headed for disaster, but regardless of that, the customer is always
right.&nbsp; I also became a little bit more conservative in my style of
dress.
issue is privacy.&nbsp; One of the reasons I got into independent contracting
is the obscenely laughable idea that companies should be able to test their
employees for drugs.&nbsp; So I voted with my feet, so to speak.&nbsp;
As an independent developer with my own health insurance, this is normally
a non-issue.&nbsp; You can make whatever conclusions you want about my
lifestyle-- as the late great Peter McWilliams put it, it's nobody's business,
anyway,&nbsp; as long as my performance meets or exceeds expectations.&nbsp;&nbsp;
I wouldn't bend on this one even if, for example, they're only testing
for heroin (which I&nbsp;most assuredly have never done) because, to me,
it's a necessary prerequisite of self-ownership that my privacy stays untrammeled.&nbsp;&nbsp;
BTW, as an independent contractor with my own corporation, I don't have
to give my clients my SSN, either-- which is another plus for a privacy
nut like me.
in their lives (even though that sometimes makes things more difficult
for assholes like myself.)&nbsp; I just want to say that I view it as a
sign of integrity when people have principles that they're stubborn about.
paid for the next 2 months
and
I'm
(Tempe)
no way
the ear
learn
if your mail doesn't post to the list quickly and you use Netscape to write
mail.

<pre>--&nbsp;
Nakota Software, Inc.
Custom Industrial Software Development</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

--------------AF72CBF243607B403B6934C5--