do you use cox@home?

Armand buckyG@worldnet.att.net
Tue, 06 Mar 2001 16:45:38 -0700

Armin Hartinger wrote:

> Hello Armand,
>
> Monday, March 05, 2001, 10:27:59 PM, you wrote:
>
> Ahhh, you probably knew good and well and just wanted to rub your nice
> connection into my wounds ;)
>
> Last time I checked, Cox@home wasn't available in my area... today I
> get a mail-flyer, saying it is... I give them a call and they say "It
> Is!" and it seems it has been for months... blah.
>
> One thing for sure... I'll *NEVER* mention I use Linux, given Eric
> Thelin's experience, that they put you on a blacklist...
>
> Oh well, I'm just a ho to the mighty link...
>
> -Armin

Nice connection!?!  I just moved to Prescott Valley last summer and man
was I spoiled getting a reliable 48 K dail up connection before I
moved.  Now only getting 33.6 but it is reliable.

I just got Cableone as it became available but I'm sorting out my
firewall right now, taking my time and enjoying the experience.

It was expensive considering the cost of the cablemodem itself, along
with $40 install and first month of local basic TV @ $15 and $35 for the
first month = well over $300 and I'm not used to dropping that kind of
cash but I couldn't stand 33.6 anymore and it's for my computer, you
know.

Since I've had it I've ftp installed Debian, Suse and finally went to RH
Fisher for the 2.4 kernel and iptables.  I  found a really cool iptables
script at:

http://www.sentry.net/~obsid/IPTables/rc.scripts.dir/current/rc.firewall.iptables.dual

When I get scanned it logs it to the login prompt at the terminal, very
interesting.

BTW, nice name.

Armand
--
Wow, the great ZDNET actually corrected a mistake! Of course, if they
did

   -- From a Slashdot.org post