Last Warning

foodog foodog@qwest.net
Fri, 02 Mar 2001 23:16:20 -0700

Robert Leonard wrote:
> Has anyone checked into GCC as a possible meeting place? IIRC they have a

Unfortunately, they can't let you have space for public activities. It
has to be a student club.

> The guy's at vikings were kind enough to allow the use of thier facility,

It's a really nice place too; no joke.  I particularly enjoyed the
courtyard.  I am an unworthy dog. ;-)

> but i'm not sure what you were expecting? As this is a User Group, by the
> users for the users of the users, were you expecting to be entertained,
> educated, enlightened, spoonfed?  Did you bring a computer to install? were

I guess maybe snacks, a massage, dancing cats.

I thought it'd be a PLUG meeting that was near my house, like what I've
read about here.  A topic / presentation, people discussing it,
questions, answers, that kinda stuff.  I was a victim of heightened
expectation; it was a lot like waiting at a clean, unusually quiet
airport.  *Now* I've heard it was an installfest.

> you there to assist others install? were you there to be assisted in a
> config issue?

I was there for a PLUG meeting.  Until someone I knew showed up, I spent
most of my time talking to a guy contemplating a career change to
"computers". I was polite and told him what I could; he seemed OK with
it.  The desperation he conveyed was unsettling.

The last 30 minutes or so my friend* and I admired the surroundings,
talked about computers, smoked cigarettes in the courtyard, then went
for a beer.

> The comment about the jobseekers seemed a little crass and condescending,

Hey, I'm evil. <shrug>

Sorry.  It wasn't consciously intended that way.  They made the
difference between just sitting there and having a vaguely
computer-related discussion.

> one of the greatest value's for me with the various user groups is the
> ability to quickly and efficiently network with others in the same field.  I

Exactly!  I hope to meet you eventually, Robert. I've heard I'm less
annoying in person than in writing.

Steve
* my alleged friend shall remain nameless to perserve his reputation :-)
:-)
P.S. can someone tell me what IIRC stands for?  I'm stumped.