ping, part II

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 12:51:41 -0700 (MST)

moin, moin,

just as a follow up on the ping problems I was seeing last Fri here's some
info we noted right before I had to leave.

The host we're having problems with is annapolis.tcsmdc.com. When pinging
it with RH 6.2 or Mandrake 7.2 boxen we were getting normal ping times,
e.g. 120ms, but it was taking approx 30 sec per packet to get that. If I
let the ping run 120 sec, then the first 4 packets ( e.g. 0, 1, 2 and 3
) would return and the other 116 wouldn't, e.g. large packet loss. Letting
it run for a long time got me responses in the correct order, but with the
30 sec between each response.

Pinging the same host with debian woody (testing) or RH 6.1 worked as one
would expect ping to work.

One of the debian boxen is running 2.4.2, all the other boxen have 2.2.1x
on them.

Aha, today the RH boxen are still slow, but are responding with times that
seem more appropriate to the time being taken. The debian boxen, however,
are still getting decent ping times. Komisch.

ciao,

der.hans

PS m$ apparently can't even ping the host because the timeout is too
long...
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
# Motorraeder toeten nicht. Motorraeder werden getoetet.