RH 7.1 install problem

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 14:09:46 -0700

Tom Bradford wrote:

> David O'Malley wrote:
> > Sure enough, upon reboot and after POST I got a L on the screen, and it
> > froze there.  Nothing a Windows system disk couldn't fix.  When I go back
> > into Linux, and try to configure lilo.conf, I still get the message above
> > when I run lilo, and it does the same thing to my boot record.  I've tried
> > putting in lba32, fix-table, and taking out linear, in all different
> > combinations.  Any suggestions (besides booting to floppy every time, or
> > getting rid of Winblowz)?
>
> I've had this problem with LILO on several Dell machines.  Oddly enough,
> I've had no problems with GRUB, so you may want to try that instead.
>
> --
---------------
I hate to chase a newbie down the path of installing an alternative
bootloader when he can't get the first one working.

I think that you need to add a line to boot from the second hard drive
to lilo...

bios=0x82

This should make it work.

I think that you should have installed lilo into the MBR of the boot
drive and it would have preserved the multi-boot that you already had in
place...

i.e., there should be 3 boot options in lilo

Windows 95
label = win95

Windows 2000
label = win2K

Linux
label = linux

and you can set the default to any one you want. But since you've
already got the boot floppy, edit 'lilo.conf' and add the bios=0x82 on
the line in the linux section under disk = /dev/hdc

Craig