CD R/RW

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 19:20:00 -0700

On Thursday 28 June 2001 05:36 pm, dzink wrote:
>  1st:  I cannot seen to get either SuSE 7.1 or 7.2 to recognize either of
> my CD R/RW's. I have a Iomega Zip 8x4x32 and a HP 9100i 8x4x32... I have
> installed SuSE using either one my cd r/rw separately.. (I do not have the
> both installed at the same time but switched them) .   I have tried to
> setup ide-scsi immulation but to no avail. Any help on setting up either
> one of these cd r/rw's would be appreciated.

Try this.  In /etc/lilo.conf, add an "append" line naming your CD-RW drive as
an ide-scsi.  On my system a while back, it was /dev/hdd so I had this:

  image  = /boot/vmlinuz
  label  = linux
  root   = /dev/sda3
  initrd = /boot/initrd
  append = "hdd=ide-scsi"

Then, in /etc/rc.d/boot.local, add this line:

  modprobe ide-scsi

After you do a lilo and reboot, cdrecord should recognize your CD-RW with no
problems.
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop