Which Gnucash download?

Blake Barnett plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 18:08:22 -0700

I was speaking more of having this as default behavior, not something you'd
have to think about.  For example:

You do: apt-get install libgcc3

Which is not in stable, but since you are saying you want it, it will get it
from unstable.

We've also been playing with the apt_preferences stuff to see if there's a
way to make this all act as you would expect by default.

* Blake

-----Original Message-----
From: Derek Neighbors [mailto:derek@gnue.org]
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2001 2:46 PM
To: 'plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us'
Subject: RE: Which Gnucash download?

Um what issues do you have.

It is pretty much standard for our developers to run stable, then drop to
testing or unstable for bleeding edge development packages.

You just have to realize that just like Mandrake and/or RedHat running the
newer packages is risky at times.

I would say if you want rock solid production server install stable and
build anything that you need that is newer from source.

If you are doing workstation, you should be able to readily just edit your
source file to grab testing/unstable when you need it.  If you grab
unstable apt you dont even need to edit your sources file anymore you can
do via apt.

There is a saying we have.  No software is perfect just certain software
sucks less.  Apt is not perfect, but it certainly sucks less than rpm
based packaging.

Derek