hello

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 08:53:11 -0700

At 08:30 AM 6/27/01 -0700, you wrote:

>Ok, I just grabbed a copy of Redhat 7.1 from their distribution site,
>burned it to CD and installed it on a laptop.
>
>Tell me if I'm crazy, or is it normal for Linux distributions these
>days to ship with older KDE (this came with 1.1.2) and old buggy linux
>kernels (2.2.16).  linux-2.2.16 seems to have some odd bug with the
>3c57x controller.  Weird messages appear in syslog such as "eth0:
>transmit timed out", and various other Tx/Rx errors.  It surprises
>me that Redhat ships with this kernel.

RedHat 7.1 ships with and default installs the 2.4.2 kernel.  I have not
installed it to a laptop so maybe it uses the old kernel for laptops, but
that doesn't make sense.  Did the laptop have linux already on it and the
RH 7.1 install did not overwrite your previous kernel or settings?

RH 7.1 also ships with KDE newer than 1.1.2 although I don't remember
which.  Maybe there is an install option to leave all your old stuff in
place when you did the RH 7.1 install?  Just guessing the same guess again.

>I'm new to the list so I was wondering what the general concensus
>is with Mandrake 8.0.

I have not used it but others LOVE it.

Alan