Coda or AFS

Blake Barnett plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 20:26:49 -0700

Coda has size limitations which are slightly rediculous (can't remember
numbers at the moment).  And it is a rather quirky system.

I don't have much experience with AFS, but I am afraid it is the only viable
option out there. One of my next projects is to become intimately familiar
with it.  I read the draft RFC for NFSv4 and it looks quite nice.  Every
problem I have had with NFSv2/3 in the past has been addressed.  So I would
probably recommend either waiting for NFSv4 or just going with AFS.

Intermezzo is another option, (ideas based on Coda, but a different
implementation.)  www.inter-mezzo.org, though it is still in early
development as well.  It looks to be rather dead in development.  In a
conversation with the auther in the past he said something like: "Don't
over-value the disconnected operation features."  Anyway... that's my 10
cents.

Blake Barnett
Sr. Unix Administrator
DevelopOnline

-----Original Message-----
From: J.Francois [mailto:frenchie@magusnet.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 6:13 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Coda or AFS

My experience with CODA with one master and two test nodes
was a wash.

It worked but it was new to me so I don't know if it was
quirky or if I was just not used to working in the new environment.

That being said, either of them should work ok but somehow
I think AFS has most of the support available in the field.

JLF Sends...