access.conf/Apache

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 21:22:20 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth meg@cs.csoft.net on 6/18/2001 22:49 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ I know I have done something like this before, but
\_ can't remember how:
\_
\_ I would like to set up all access to my web server
\_ from a given ip to prompt the user for a passwd.
\_ For instance, all ip's in the range 192.168.2.0/24
\_ should be allowed access EXCEPT one ip 192.168.2.222.
\_
\_ Could anyone throw me a bone? I have searched thru
\_ apache's docs & faqs, but have not turned up
\_ anything. I suppose the part that has me hung up
\_ is that the ip I want to match is in the same
\_ range that I want to allow.
\_
\_ I have tried something like
\_
\_ allow from 192.168.2.0/24
\_ deny from 192.168.2.222
\_ AuthType Basic
\_ AuthUserFile /path_to_htpasswd_file
\_ require user user_from_222
\_ satisfy any

I think the trick would be the 'order' line that isn't here.

order allow,deny
order deny,allow
order mutual-failure

Do different things, perhaps the default one isn't the combination you
want?

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_access.html#order

Hmmm, 'order allow,deny' == 'order mutual-failure' according to the
docs in one place, but don't quite convince me of that in another
place.

YMMV.

David