Problems with Earthlinks PPP access

Jason plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 22:48:27 +0000

Craig White wrote:

> Jason, I sympathize - that is just one of the problems with analog dial-in.
>
> What I used to do in the pass is 'hop' the bad modem in question by dialing
> in on my other phone line manually via telephone, then connecting with my
> modem and then hanging up the manual dial. Thus it sometimes takes two phone
> lines to make a connection.

I was actually able to get it to function properly last night by
passing pppd the "noauth" option. Now, this morning, I no longer have
to do this, and my standard pppd script is working. So I have three
new commands because of last night... all based off the normal ppp
script: ppp-unsecure, ppp-debug, ppp-unsecure-debug. Im not even sure
why the server refuses to authenticate itself, and near as I can tell
from reading the pppd man pages, the only risk this REALLY opens me up
to is if someone unplugs the serial cord and plugs in their own server
at the mindspring host, thus intercepting my communications. Since I'm
not rechallenging their end periodically during the connection
anyways... I'd never know regardless.

Ah well, it works, and I have two workarounds. Technically, having a
second number to dial into is an advantage of analog dialin.
Generally, when they screw up the other end on a digital connection,
your up the proverbial creek with no paddle... :-)

Besides, I dont imagine DSL comes cheap out here in Atrashy Junction.

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|