XUL and stuff [was Re: Netscape 6.. ohmygod...]

Michael Vanecek plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:43:55 -0500

Shameless plug? Are you a gnucash developer? We use Quickbooks to manage
finances at my computer shop - this includes managing banking, payroll,
taxes, invoicing, recievables and payables, estimates and inventory.
You're probably right about MySQL, but since this is a small shop and
I'm already familiar with MySQL that didn't seem to be a problem. I
could always use Postgres with it's finer resolution of locking policies
if it becomes a problem. Last I checked, gnucash was basically a Quicken
clone, not a Quickbooks clone. I didn't see anything in GnuCash that
could do what I need. If you know differently, please let me know. Why
duplicate efforts? I am interested in writing though software. If XUL
can't handle external datasources well (I know that Javascript is used
for file I/O - but I don't know of any Javascript/SQL interfaces),
perhaps then I'll just do Gnome and PHP based on a central, portable
library. That may still be a challenge. Both PHP and Gnome handle data
and databases very differently and I haven't written anything in Gnome
that could make use of an Apache module. Hmm, I think PHP can be used to
execute system commands, maybe I'll explore that. I could do XML, but I
prefer the power of a database application instead. Hey, there's an
effort to bind Gnome to PHP, maybe there's something in that. :) I've
actually played with the Perl binding...

Mike