Repair .hdepend file?

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:00:41 -0700

I have not been able to find a way to repair my .hdepend file.  Well, tonight
I thought I would pull the source off the RH 7.1 install CDs to re-install
the sources.  I can't make it work.

I copied the RPM files kernel-2.4.2-2.i586.rpm and
kernel-headers-2.4.2-2.i586.rpm from the CD into the /usr/src directory.

I renamed the linux-2.4.2 directory (the old source tree) to linux-2.4.2-Org.

I run: rpm -ihv --force kernel-2.4.2-2.i586.rpm

I watch the messages and the hash marks update on the screen.  I see and here
my hard drive go like mad.

I do ls -a.  There is no linux-2.4.2 directory.  I have no idea where rpm put
the source package it supposedly unpacked.  The find tool finds the source
files in the old source tree and nowhere else.

What I am not understanding here?  The kernel howto is specific to the
general linux source at kernel.org and the redhat site is impossible to find
specifics on the procedure.

Alan