Trip to the States

Tom Bradford plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:30:45 -0700

Jeffrey Pyne wrote:
> We moved here from Boston 5 years ago.  We had 10 feet of snow the winter
> before we moved here.  Summer always seemed to take forever to arrive, and
> when it id, man was it muggy.  Add in a dash of $850/mo for a 300 sq.ft.
> apartment (them're 1995 dollars, too), a sprinkle of "Where the hell can I
> park my motorcycle where some jack@$$ won't steal my sidecovers?" and a
> dollop of "You want HOW MUCH for a nosebleed seat in (Foxboro Stadium/Fleet
> Center/Fenway Park)?!?!?!"  But you know what?  That seems like Heaven when
> I compare it to the 5 months of miserable Hell known as "Summer in Phoenix."
> Is it almost October yet?  I can't read my calendar because my eyes melted
> about 3 weeks ago....  Who the hell came up with the bright idea of putting
> a city here, anyway?

No way.  I grew up in East Boston, and spent the last 5 years of my 25
years in Boston in Allston/Brighton, so I know about tough
neighborhoods, ridiculous rent, and pricks who key cars for fun.  As far
as the heat in Phoenix, I'd rather walk a mile in 110 heat than walk
across Comm Ave to Store24.  Spending a couple of months in an air
conditioned office/car is worth it for the paradise that is the rest of
the year.

--
Tom Bradford --- The dbXML Project --- http://www.dbxml.org/
We store your XML data a hell of a lot better than /dev/null