Trip to the States

Jeffrey Pyne plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:59:21 -0700

We moved here from Boston 5 years ago.  We had 10 feet of snow the winter
before we moved here.  Summer always seemed to take forever to arrive, and
when it id, man was it muggy.  Add in a dash of $850/mo for a 300 sq.ft.
apartment (them're 1995 dollars, too), a sprinkle of "Where the hell can I
park my motorcycle where some jack@$$ won't steal my sidecovers?" and a
dollop of "You want HOW MUCH for a nosebleed seat in (Foxboro Stadium/Fleet
Center/Fenway Park)?!?!?!"  But you know what?  That seems like Heaven when
I compare it to the 5 months of miserable Hell known as "Summer in Phoenix."
Is it almost October yet?  I can't read my calendar because my eyes melted
about 3 weeks ago....  Who the hell came up with the bright idea of putting
a city here, anyway?

~Jeff

Tom Bradford wrote:

Jason wrote:
> > Boston's 80F with 90% humidity any day.   Sweating like a pig while
> > being stuck on I93 in a '89 Toyota Corolla with a broken AC in July is
> > something I'm not going to miss.
> ...              ---------------
>
> ...because of the sticky, nasty monsoon season?

The monsoon is a walk in the park compared to the weather that the
northest gets.  The year I left Boston, we had a downpour that lasted
nearly two weeks... and I don't mean it rained every night for about 15
minutes over a two-week period.  I mean it rained, non-stop, for 2
weeks.  It flooded the south station tunnel with about 5 feet of water,
and left Kenmore square station under about 10 feet.  Trying to drive
from my apartment to my mother's, which is normally about 10 to 15
minutes, took about four hours.  This type of weather, along with the
4-5 feet of snow we got on April 1st about four or so years ago is why I
won't miss Boston.

--
Tom Bradford --- The dbXML Project --- http://www.dbxml.org/
We store your XML data a hell of a lot better than /dev/null