getting an NT 4 box to connect to linux gateway

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 21:55:09 -0700

"Craig White" <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

> Quoting Bob George <plug@bobspc.dhs.org>:
> > [...]
> > I just verified
> >
> > "mount -t smbfs file://ntpdc/sharename /mnt/mountpoint -o
> > username=user,password=password"
> >
> > and it works fine.
> ------------
> option in Samba - encrypt passwords=yes
>
> I was under the impression that NT/2K/ required encrypted passwords

But keep in mind that's only if you want your Linux boxes running Samba to
participate in a Windows domain (in order to be accessed FROM Windows
machines in other words). If you just want to mount a Windows share under
Linux to pass files, domain-be-damned, the appropriate mount command is all
that's required assuming smbfs is installed. No need to install a full-blown
Samba configuration unless you want to do the reverse (Windows access
Linux).

The smbfs man page has more info on encryption etc.

> [...]
> obviously, if you store the 'mount' string in a file such as /etc/fstab
and it
> includes passwords, then in must be made unreadable by all but root

And forget security on the wire if doing Windows networking in
less-than-pure Win2K environment anyhow (see l0phtcrack). If you're just
accessing public shares that are open to the world anyhow via a guest-type
account, it's probably a toss-up. Again, this lets you share files, not
necessarily do it securely. But then, it IS Windows after all. :)

I do this to back up critical files on my Linux boxen to my Win2K box
nightly in place of NFS. I wouldn't do it over the Internet, but it works
well enough for home purposes.

> [...]
> abosolutely, you can use it for authentication to things such as squid,
ldap,
> etc.

Hey, if that'll work with TACACS+ (Debian tacplus package), I'm stylin'!
Thanks for the tip!

- Bob