getting an NT 4 box to connect to linux gateway

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 06 Jun 2001 09:33:36 -0700 (MST)

Quoting Bob George <plug@bobspc.dhs.org>:

> "Craig White" <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> > [...]
> > I can mount drives on a peer to peer network using only mount -t
> smbfs
> username=
> > etc... see man mntsmbfs
> >
> > but that ain't gonna work on a domain
>
> I have no trouble using that syntax on a NT server (PDC). The only
> drawback
> is sending the password in cleartext, but given l0phtcrack that may not
> be
> such a big deal. :)
> I just verified
>
> "mount -t smbfs //ntpdc/sharename /mnt/mountpoint -o
> username=user,password=password"
>
> and it works fine.
------------
option in Samba - encrypt passwords=yes

I was under the impression that NT/2K/ required encrypted passwords

obviously, if you store the 'mount' string in a file such as /etc/fstab and it
includes passwords, then in must be made unreadable by all but root
------------

> > Domain means - Samba
>
> Only required if you want to let Windows machines see the Linux box
> though.
> Just to access a remote Win box only requires smbfs.
>
> > 1. smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r PDC
> >    (joins your comupter to the domain)
>
> Keep in mind you need administrator rights to the NT domain to do
> this.
>
> > 2. install pam_smb  -  will use the domain controller to
> authenticate
> users on
> > services - i.e. login access for http/ftp/etc
>
> Oooh, neat. Hadn't picked up on the non-Windows aspects. I'll have to
> look
> that up. Thanks!

----
abosolutely, you can use it for authentication to things such as squid, ldap,
etc.

Craig

This mail sent through IMP: barney.azapple.com