imap mail handling

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 17:51:33 -0700 (MST)

Am 04. Jun, 2001 schwäzte Craig White so:

> What would a procmail script look that does this look like? I did a man
> on procmail and it didn't give me any clues but I got the idea that I
> need to put a procmailrc file (which I presume is a shell script) that
> does something.

man procmailrc
man procmailex

The second one is just so obvious to find, right? :)

Actually, if you look at the bottom of man pages, you'll often find a "SEE
ALSO" section, which is how I stumbled upon procmailex.

Using exim on debian automagically turns on procmail. Creating a .procmailrc
sorts my mail. Currently I only use IMAP for my INBOX. Need to change
someday, but it's been working well for years :).

You should be able to use procmail on the IMAP server, though.

Here's an example for PLUG-discuss:

# plug-discuss
:0:
* for <(PLUGd@LuftHans.com|PLUG-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us)>
linux/plugd

I don't rely on To headers as they often don't have correct info. This won't
work if it all goes to one email alias or one mailbox that is snapped up via
fetchmail. I get local delivery to a domain I control, though, so it works.

I sort out mail for the email alias I use for PLUG-discuss as well as mail
for PLUG-discuss itself.

The 'linux' dir in my mail dir has to exist before this rule will work.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important