KVM recommendation

AZ_Pete plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 15:32:18 -0700

I just bought a Belkin Omnicube a few weeks ago and am very happy with it's
performance.
You can push the button on the device itself to select which computer to use
or simply use the "hotkey" on the keybrd.
I use the hotkey, since I placed the unit out of reach, and it works great.
If the computer is not the currently selected one and needs to be rebooted,
the KVM will generate a keybrd and mouse signal for the computer during boot
so it won't get boot errors,
I phoned Belkin before I bought the unit and the tech was very helpful in
answering my pre-sales questions.  He even suggested a money saving
alternative to the cables I originally wanted to purchase.

I use the KVM with one Win98 box and 3 Linux boxes.  Each computer has a
different monitor resolution and I have no problems with the KVM
accomodating this.  Belkin certifies their products to work with Linux,
Windows, & Novell.
Be aware that if each of your computers is running a different monitor
resolution, that your monitor must be able store each resolution setting
otherwise you'll have to manually readjust the monitor each time you change
computers.  If each computer is running the same resolution, this isn't an
issue.
The OmniCube is a PS/2 keybrd and mouse only, so if you need older, larger
keybrd DIN connectors you will have to use a keybrd adapter.
It's doesn't support serial mice (even with a serial to PS/2 mouse adapter).
Belkin has several other models, that accomdate older connections.

I bought the unit at buy.com for $97 and the high resolution 10 foot cables
for $28 each.
Interestingly, I was watching ebay for a few weeks before purchasing and the
identical model I bought new for $97 was going for between $100-$125 on ebay
used.

Hope this helps,
Peter