eth0 setup

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 07:55:22 -0700

"Tom Achtenberg" <tom@jesusforme.com> wrote:

> Everytime I boot my pc I get a failure on the eth0 setting up ip
information.  It should be getting the ip information from a DHCP server
just like my windows machines.  In the network configuration it is set for
booting active and dhcp yet it always fails and comes up insctive.  I can
manually activate it but it never grabs an ip address.  How should this be
configured?  I am running RH 7.0 (I cannot get the 7.1 disk to boot to
upgrade) connected to an always on internet vis ethernet card.  Note there
are no dsl modems, no routers and no gateways in my setup.  My isp provides
the dhcp server.

Your provider (Cox?) may be expecting a hostname parameter to be passed as
part of the DHCP request. Cox, at least last time I bothered, wouldn't work
without the -h parameter for dhcpcd. You'll probably see the same thing if
you re-name one of your Windows boxes, or plug a new one in that's not names
using their conventions.

IF your IP address remains fairly static (mine's changed once since 1997
when I got a new cable modem) then just hand configure the address
information as a workaround.

Good luck,

- Bob