eth0 setup

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 22:25:12 -0700

Tom Achtenberg wrote:

> Everytime I boot my pc I get a failure on the eth0 setting up ip information.  It should be getting the ip information from a DHCP server just like my windows machines.  In the network configuration it is set for booting active and dhcp yet it always fails and comes up insctive.  I can manually activate it but it never grabs an ip address.  How should this be configured?  I am running RH 7.0 (I cannot get the 7.1 disk to boot to upgrade) connected to an always on internet vis ethernet card.  Note there are no dsl modems, no routers and no gateways in my setup.  My isp provides the dhcp server.

The only other idea I have is that maybe your server is expecting the
MAC address or something.

As a note I had a similarly elusive proble like this.  It turned out
that I installed a ISA NIC card I had lying around, configured it
properly, and installed it...  Then I discovered I had a floating IRQ
conflict.  I eventually founf the problem in the BIOS -- I set one of
the IRQ's dedicated to the ISA bus, but I discovered that you *also*
have to tell the PCI that that one is taken by something else...  That's
right you have to tell it twice.

  EBo --