Linux Novice

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 11:22:29 -0700

"Mark R. Myers" wrote:

> Craig White wrote:
> >
> > "Mark R. Myers" wrote:
> > >
> > > Here is the Achilles heal in your setup: your DSL connection.
> > > Even if you have 10,000,000 mbps within your home network, you are still
> > > limited to less then 10 Base T connection speeds with either DSL or a
> cable
> > > modem.
> > > So in your home you may have blazing speeds (I have 2 PCs that are 100
> Base
> > > TX on a 10/100 switch), but your speeds to the outside world will be
> less
> > > than stellar.
> > > For a home network, I would not invest in 1000 mbps network connections
> > > unless you are streaming firewire video to a SAN.
> > > Mark
> > >
> > ----
> > there are instances when there's a bunch of traffic between the servers
> > that doesn't make it out to the net.
>
> In a business setting, sure, the faster the better. But a Gb network for a
> couple of PCs at home connected to DSL? I think that is a bit of overkill.
> Even streaming video from one box to another at 100BaseTX won't slow the
> network down.

agreed.

> Why invest in a Gb switch when it is not necessary in a home setting?

I see only two reasons possible.  1) you want/need to learn about Gb
installation, etc., and 2) to brag.

For my personal stuff,  most of my home stuff is 10Mb  AUI (bought it
cheap at auction and was given free cabling when a lab upgraded to
10bT), I am only now upgrading everything to 100Mb...

  EBo --