Linux Novice

Matt Alexander plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 00:08:53 -0700 (PDT)

Steve,
The cheapest Redhat box will work fine.  You'll probably want to download the latest version of Apache and other programs anyway.  And if you go with Redhat, make sure you go with version 7.1.  Several other people mentioned that unless you have a tremendous amount of LAN traffic, a gigabit NIC isn't going to do much for you because the bottleneck is going to be your DSL connection.
Also, it sounds like there's a lot of interesting things you want to do with your Linux box, but if you're really a newbie, I would recommend that you pick up a book on setting up a Linux server and read it cover to cover.  There are a ton of good Linux books out there that should help you.  In addition, there is an enormous amount of information on the web.  The problem with us helping you, is that it's unlikely that we could be as comprehensive with our support as a book or an online HOWTO could be.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to brush you off by saying "RTFM", it's just that if you're starting out with Linux from scratch then a group like this is probably not the best way to get all your questions answered.  As you progress through your Linux setup, if you encounter strange issues or problems that you can't find in your books, etc., then we can be more helpful with specific issues.
Good luck.
~Matt