Debian woody kernel

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 12:39:24 -0700 (MST)

Am 28. Jul, 2001 schwäzte John W so:

>   I managed to get the dist upgrade to Woody completed. Xfree86 4.0.3
> is installed but I cannot get an X display with this Nvidia card (worst
> purchase I've made). I managed to find the debian source for the Nvidia
> kernel patch? and GLX module. I used the simple install method in the

Pete covered the Nvidia module question.

> beginning with potato and it seems I have no kernel headers or source
> installed. How can I determine what kernel is being used and then get the
> appropriate source and headers?

As Pete said uname tells you what kernel you're running. -r gives you just
the kernel release number and -a gives you everything.

kernel-headers-<version> is the headers.
kernel-source-<version> is the full source.

Linus says the headers in /usr/src/linux shouldn't be changed with every
new version of the kernel, so if you did need to compile a module, you'd
probably want the full kernel source.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  Help Jerry Lewis stamp out M$...oops that's MDA - der.hans