Debian woody kernel

Pete Buechler plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 21:25:13 -0700

On Saturday 28 July 2001 20:02, John W wrote:
>   I managed to get the dist upgrade to Woody completed. Xfree86 4.0.3 is
> installed but I cannot get an X display with this Nvidia card (worst
> purchase I've made). I managed to find the debian source for the Nvidia
> kernel patch? and GLX module. I used the simple install method in the
> beginning with potato and it seems I have no kernel headers or source
> installed. How can I determine what kernel is being used and then get the
> appropriate source and headers?

Type "uname -a". Potato had version 2.2.17, woody currently has either 2.2.19
or 2.4.6.

I have an Nvidia card and I did not have to recompile anything to get it to
work. You see, NVidia is a bit odd in that they supply modules for their
hardware but those modules are not GPL (you're right, we shouldn't have
bought them). But there is a free version built into XFree86, which does not
take advantage of some of the hardware acceleration. But it works just fine.
Heck, I installed the ones from the vendor and then I got lockups. Probably
not designed for SMP systems, lots of drivers from the vendors forget about
SMP.

Any how, install xserver-xfree86 and then run xf86cfg. Make sure your
XF86Config and .xinitrc are right before you start recompiling things.

-Pete-