SUCCESS! [was Re: lilo failed--HELP]

Michael J. Schweppe plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 00:39:24 -0700

Well, I finally got lilo to take.

I could not understand why I could write to the /mbr on hda and then
have it get hung up  The Red Hat docs were not very helpful, basically
saying it could be anything.  I could boot Linux from the floppy fine,
but not with lilo installed on the /mbr of the primary master, which
contained only Windows files.

I have a copy of Partition Magic and it didn't show the primary slave
[the 10 Gb that had Linux].  This should have been my first clue, but
I was so focused on lilo and doing repeat installs [figuring I messed
up some how] that I didn't give the PM issue any thought.

Nothing seemed to work--this was very frustrating.  I finally resigned
myself to using Boot Magic that came with my copy of PM.  Boot Magic
didn't see the Linux disk either.  More reading.

Out of sheer cluelessness I decided to poke around in the CMOS.  I
discovered that the 10 Gb drive was not defined!  It didn't show up at
all!  I started the auto detect and took care of that.  I was certain
I had done this after I installed the drive, but I can only guess that
instead of typing "Y" on the save I typed "N".  I really don't know.

What does have my curiosity though is how did Linux find the drive
when it was not listed in the CMOS?  A mute point, but if someone
knows I'd be interested.

Thanks again to all who diligently responded to my cry for help.  Your
support is encouraging in wading through such adventurous waters.

Mike