lilo failed--HELP

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:45:11 -0700

Craig White wrote:

> "Michael J. Schweppe" wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:59:55 -0700, Craig White
> > <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I still think that you need to try bios=0x82 - I believe that you can
> > >try this from the lilo boot...i.e. - press control X when you see the
> > >lilo picker - type 'linux bios=0x82' ...
> >
> > I'm not sure what the lilo picker is.  When I use the boot disk I get
> > a 'boot:' prompt where I hit enter.  If I don't use the disk, well,
> > like I said I just get the flashing 'L'.  Sorry to ask for
> > by-the-numbers here, but could you?
> >
> ------------
> that's interesting.
>
> try looking at lilo.conf on the floppy (if it's on the floppy) don't
> quite understand the booting from floppy business...floppy booting is
> not my idea of progress.

well... booting from a floppy allows you to muck with the boot
configurations until you get everything working, then it is a one line
change in the lilo.conf to make it boot from the HD...  That way you are
garanteed to be able to always boot your machine even when you screw up
-- like I have on more than one ocasion...

> what I was suggesting was to boot without floppy...since lilo is
> installed in the mbr of the first hard drive, when it stops at startup
> to pick linux or dos (if you do nothing or just hit return it boots
> windows because the 'default = dos' setting), press control X before it
> moves on and type
>
> linux bios=0x82

my understanding is that he configured lilo for a boot from floppy.  The
MBR may be corrupted...

hmmm... Michael, where abouts you live?  We could get together and get
it working if you like...

Give me a call (602) 543-6133

  EBo --