lilo failed--HELP

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:27:53 -0700

"Michael J. Schweppe" wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:59:55 -0700, Craig White
> <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
>
> >I still think that you need to try bios=0x82 - I believe that you can
> >try this from the lilo boot...i.e. - press control X when you see the
> >lilo picker - type 'linux bios=0x82' ...
>
> I'm not sure what the lilo picker is.  When I use the boot disk I get
> a 'boot:' prompt where I hit enter.

my understanding is the lilo picker is the what you have when you see
"boot:".  Lilo is giving you a choice of which OS you are going to
boot.  If you type a tab or space or something... (I do it so
automatically I no longer even think about it) it will give you a list
of labeled OS's.  From your previous post if you type "dos" at the
"boot:" prompt you should boot under NT.  If you type "linux" you should
get linux...

> If I don't use the disk, well,
> like I said I just get the flashing 'L'.  Sorry to ask for
> by-the-numbers here, but could you?

The flashing "L" is lilo freaking out...  I do not know why it does
that, but I think it has somethig to do with the OS images, tables, etc.
in the mbr being in the wrong place and Lilo simpy does not deal
gracefully with it...

  EBo --