Dynamic Content

Blake Barnett plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 17:35:56 -0700

My recommendation is to use an LDAP directory server (such as OpenLDAP) with
a  PHP/Perl/Whatever front-end.  If the directory ever does grow in size,
LDAP offers much better query speed and index capabilities than SQL.  It
also has broad support in most languages and you may even be able to find a
ready-made web front-end for it.

Blake Barnett
Sr. Unix Administrator
DevelopOnline

-----Original Message-----
From: John Albee [mailto:guesswho911@home.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2001 11:48 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Dynamic Content

Within the next 2 weeks I plan on setting up a website that will act as a
business directory.  What I am looking for is ideas on the best way to
implement it.  My experience with programming PHP and MySQL is severly
limited (at the moment) so if I went that route I would need a Open Source
Template to work off of.  The site when matured would have 2,000 to 3,000
listings that would need to be catagorized and indexed for search purposes.
Where might I want to start looking for something like this?  I did some
searching on Freshmeat.net but it seemed that there was not a general
project that would fill the shoes of this project.

Thanks,
John Albee
guesswho911@home.com